In an online store much of the success is linked to its visibility on the Internet, that is, to his presence the search engines, social networks and mentions on websites relevant sites. Focusing on search engine visibility we must differentiate between paid advertising (Google AdWords) and natural search results-what we usually call “search engine positioning” . In this article we look at it is search engine optimization and what you can do yourself to improve the visibility of your business without having to resort to a specialized agency.
What is search engine optimization?
Search engine optimisation is a marketing strategy which aims to occupy the top positions in search engines for search-words entered in the search field potential- our customers about the products or services we provide. Therefore, to succeed we must have maximum information about:
- The terms in which our potential customers look to us to find our products / services.
- The aspects that values Google for better or worse position a website.
But before starting to analyze the keywords for which we want to position it, let’s learn a little more about what factors Google takes into account to rank our website.
Disciplines of SEO
If you want to work on search engine optimization we can improve three different disciplines of our project: indexability, relevance and popularity. We will discuss each below:
It is the ease with which search engines to find and crawl the content of a website . Generally it refers to the technical aspects of e-commerce platform. If we are not programmers our chances of improving in this field is limited to choose e-commerce platform that more care of the technical aspects recommended by Google: accessible by search engine robots, loading time online store, possibility of generating pages meta tags, mobile device support and more. Therefore, I recommend taking the time to analyze, investigate and inquire about which platforms include search engine positioning time of its priorities.
It refers to how our content is relevant for searches of our potential customers . As stewards of an online store that’s where we can work more. As advanced above, the first step is to analyze what terms we can find our clients and if those terms generate sufficient volume of searches for our project viable.
To do this we must put ourselves in the shoes of our customers and imagine what would introduce into Google to get a website that offer the products and services we offer. Following this study will complete a column in a spreadsheet with all the words that we have collected.
In a second phase, we analyze the competition to write down what words are positioning them . We have several alternatives for this information:
- Use tool SEMRush. When entering the domain of competition will list keywords which have greater visibility.
- See what words to use to write the title pages of their goals.
These data also will add them to the spreadsheet along with the keywords that we had. Then remove repeated words.
The next step is to find out whether these words are capable of generating a sufficient volume of searches and what level of competition have . This information can obtain the free Google AdWords tool: Keyword Planner .
Once we have a list of keywords that we use our potential customers to check that for each there is at least one page of our website which can be positioned -that relevantly. For this is great blog if among our list of words other product names, we have ways of use and related issues such as “What to give a baby”.
Finally we must optimize the text and metadata of the pages containing the keywords for which we want to position
It focuses on the links that come to us from other websites and social networks. In this issue we must focus on creating quality content that is referenced from other pages and maintaining adequate social profiles that combine relevant content and links to our online store.
In popularity we must avoid the temptation of shortcuts such as buying or exchanging links. Such strategies are frowned upon by Google and if it detects this type links that point to our online store can get to penalize drastically reducing our visibility.
A good strategy is:
- Generate relevant and quality content on our blog
- Viral actions designed to encourage the sector to other websites link us with the quality or originality of our content
- To agree with opinion leaders to test our products and draft reviews.
SEO summarized task list
Now you have an overview of how to work on search engine rankings of your own website online store . How you’re thinking in any of the three disciplines you can deepen everything you want and more. But it is very important to know what the general rules are.
Finally I list the six key tasks to position your online store:
- Analyze your customers and competition and generate a list of keywords for which you want to position.
- Check your online store that have at least one page that can be positioned for one of those terms .
- Create new pages and blog entries for those search terms that are not yet present on your architecture.
- Optimize the contents of the pages to focus them on those terms: content and metadata.
- Work the social profiles.
- Generate quality content that can be referenced by industry websites and social profiles.